Troll Tossing

Forgive me for a bit of navel-gazing here as I blog about the blog. A couple days ago I finally got my first set of nasty comments. As is common with flames, they were much funnier than their idiotic poster ever intended them to be. Why is it that trolls* can never spell or punctuate properly? I guess they don’t teach grammar to people who live under bridges.

I’m surprised this hadn’t happened sooner considering I’ve got my big-ass, fat pictures plastered all over the background. They’re a large target, quite literally. My troll left 3 comments using different e-mail addresses, but they were all from the same IP address which means they came from the same computer. I junked the comments and banned his/her IP from my site because I am the webMASTER. You thought it was just a self-aggrandizing title, eh? No, it is also absolute power over my domain. That’s right kiddies, if you can’t play nice I will kick your ass off the playground.

I’ve been online for almost a decade now, so I’m used to dealing with mean people. I suppose there will always be 1% of my mind that is annoyed by comments like this, but for the most part I do find them funny. While the poster seemed to think fat people are pathetic, I think all of us, fat and skinny alike, can agree that there are few things more pathetic than people who have to make fun of fat people online to make them feel better about themselves.

While being made fun of for being overweight certainly isn’t on my Top Ten Most Fun Experiences of All Time list, I think in some ways it’s better to be on this side than the other. I would guess that the people who are mean to fat people because they are fat are also the same people who are nice to skinny people just because they’re skinny. While I don’t like people being rude to me, at least I know they’re assholes upfront. If someone just likes you because you’re thin or pretty, it must be harder to realize it.

Normally I wouldn’t even talk about a troll. Usually the best way to deal with them is to simply ignore them. They want to provoke a reaction, so it’s best not to give them one. But since he can’t read this, I figure there’s no harm. I was also curious if anyone else has gotten rude comments on their blogs. Anyone?

* A troll is the term used to refer to someone who posts comments online simply to anger and annoy other people and stir up trouble

Fatgirl_79 • January 16, 2006 at 11:19 am

I haven’t gotten any mean ones yet but I am sure I will one day. I don’t understand people that get off on trying to make other people feel bad. How pathetic the must be.

M. • January 16, 2006 at 1:07 pm

I don’t have a blog, so no, but I did leave rude comments on other people’s blogs (not fat related though). I think I’m banned on some Britney Spears site, heh. I know, why was I there in the first place? I do leave rude comments sometimes, but it’s just like in a coversation, sometimes I disagee politely, sometimes less politely. I don’t do it just to attract attention, but I feel that if a blogger has a “comments” section, they should accept both positive and negative ones (I am not referring to your case, but in general).

kathryn • January 16, 2006 at 2:12 pm

I’ve never gotten negative comments (touch wood) but when I first started blogging, I didn’t have comments because I thought I would be a target for that kind of thing. Now I just don’t care.

wurkoutgurl • January 16, 2006 at 5:49 pm

I’m too boring to get comments on my blod. You must be someone really special!! :)

Roxie • January 16, 2006 at 6:34 pm

I’ve always thought that people that take the time to berate fat people have massive insecurity issues. Seems they fail to mature past grade-school mentality. PQ, I agree that they are just trying to get a reaction. Maybe you could adopt a policy of publishing the idoiots’ email addresses. I’ve been made fun of by strangers a few times and I’m like, YOU’RE making fun of ME? Loser, please!

Dee • January 16, 2006 at 11:35 pm

I haven’t gotten any rude comments by trolls, but I have gotten rude comments and I don’t know what’s worse – a stranger or someone you know. It doesn’t matter, I try not to take it or think about it too much and am very much like you.

It takes a pathetic person to belittle someone else to try and make them feel better.

Glad you’ve just brushed it off for what it’s worth, trash.

Kirsten • January 17, 2006 at 3:51 am

I did get called “Bridget Jones” but I don’t think it was meant as an insult (I’m not sure the commenter realised it was a fitness blog rather than general musings about my life, though). If I got a troll, I hope I’d be able to take it merely as an indication that people I don’t already know and like were reading. But I don’t know. I think I’d likely delete.

I’ve never made a nasty comment elsewhere, but I have responded to nasty comments on other people’s blogs. I know, probably I should just ignore him, but a bit of solidarity sometimes feels like the right thing to do.

As for comments from real-life people? I remember every one.

Jen • January 17, 2006 at 9:13 am

No trolls yet, but my blog is awful new.

Let me send you an “amen” and “hell yeah” to people being jerks upfront so they can be identified. Truth is a beautiful gift, ugly truth is even better. Helps you get to the real stuff quickly.

I am trying to figure out why people are so compelled to have a go at fat people. A little boy in the daycare group I work with on Monday nights said “You have a big tummy.” The other adult froze like a deer in headlights. I just agreed and moved on. He’s three and he’s stating every fact he can get his mind around right now.

At a bar on St. Patty’s, I was listening to some fabulous band, drinking my cider and a woman younger than me walked up and said “You big fat assed bitch” and walked away. Now what the hell was that?

I figure your troll is a more cowardly version of my bar chick, cuz s/he is hiding online where as I could have easily pursued the young lady and finished the conversation.

Point is, why are people so compelled? Someone should study this. Really.

Fatslayer • January 17, 2006 at 12:25 pm

I don’t get too many comments on my blog, so it’s always a bit of a thrill to see that I have a new one. I remember how deflated I felt when I got my (so far) one-and-only nasty ‘anonymous’ comment (I deleted it). I felt really p*ssed off that someone had gone to the effort of writing a comment to my blog and yet had done it purely to be hurtful and insulting. The mentality of some folks never ceases to amaze me.

M. • January 17, 2006 at 1:20 pm

Fatslayer,

I wanted to comment on your site many times (more recently on that ghost thing), but it requires registration. And it’s not like I’ll ever use that registration for anything else (like my TypeKey for example). I think you’d get many more comments if it wasn’t for that.

PastaQueen,

sorry for hijacking your coments for this, but I couldn’t even find an e-mail address on her site.

Soul Searching • January 17, 2006 at 6:15 pm

I have never received a negative comment, but I’ve been expecting them since I started blogging. I felt like I was coming out the day I put my picture up for all to see, but turns out most people, like me!!, are good people. I like that you could laugh at the comments. I need to learn how to do that.

I was called a “Fat bitch” in traffic the other day and all I could think was is that really all you can come up with to attack? I wonder what I’d be if I wasn’t overweight. I guess it’s a pretty easy thing to attack, since it’s there for them to see, but it’s sad to me that someone’s life is so shallow that I couldn’t be just a regular old bitch, but instead I had to be a fat one.

Steve • January 18, 2006 at 3:06 am

I hate trolls. They come on every type of site, and are usually very cowardly to boot. I am sorry you had to dealk with that.

Hilly • January 18, 2006 at 2:24 pm

Ahhh the ignorant, low class people???? How fun are they to make fun of because I would much rather be fat and working at it than be stupid and have no hope! Was that bitchy? Ha, that is probably why I never get trolls…cause I am the snark moster ;).

I do get these searches that piss me off…I look at sitemeter and am appalled and how many people search for “fatt assed chicks” or “kelly lebrock is fat”, although I have to admit I may have searched on the second one myself.

You are right to ban their asses and let them know that their IP’s are coming up; no one can run and hide!

Nice Hilly says that she is sorry you had to hear that; no one who is trying to be honest and better herself should have to be talked to negatively.

Mean Hilly is gonna get Wayne Brady to choke a bitch ;).

anji • January 18, 2006 at 8:09 pm

Hey! Yes, had nasty (but supposedly well-meaning) messages on my site and I used to take them personally. Now, it’s like, screw off, tell someone who cares.

I agree with someone else, give us their address so we can spam them baby! hehe…

anji

Pink • February 12, 2006 at 11:26 am

I found your site, somehow, while trying to find information on Kelly LeBrock’s progress on VH-1′s weight loss show.

You’ve done an amazing job of losing weight. Having lost my ex-husband this past December from a heart attack attributable to poor living habits, I view maintaining a healthy weight as necessary for longevity. The aesthetics are nice, too, but definitely pale in comparison to the benefits of living long and well.

Keep up the great work, and ignore the trolls. How small, petty and mean-spirited do you need to be to make yourself feel better by hating others? Karma is a fabulous thing – it’s the gift that keeps on giving!