Getting Used to Things

There’s a box of clothing patterns sitting next to my desk that’s been there for weeks. My mom dropped it off for me when I told her I wanted to learn to sew. Much like cooking, it’s a lost art I’d like to launch a search and rescue mission for.

Because I didn’t dive into the box of patterns within the first week or so it was there, it’s become a part of the landscape and I’m much less likely to look through it now than if I had during those first couple of days when it was a ‘new thing.’ I do the same thing with books. If I don’t start reading that book within the first week or so after I’ve gotten it, the probability significantly rises that it’s just going to end up sitting on the shelf for the next year or so. And that’s a conservative estimate. I have books I bought in the 90′s that I still haven’t read.

What does this have to do with weight loss? Excess pounds are a lot like my box of clothing patterns in the corner or that library book that I have now renewed for the second time. If you don’t take care of them right away, you might never take care of them at all.

My boss is this way about stuff in the office. An old set of curtains sits on our reception area table and our old phone system is stacked in a conference room. No one in the office even notices them anymore because they’ve been there for months. But when a salesmen came into the office the other day, he saw the curtains and immediately asked us if we’d just moved into the building. We’ve been here two years. The junk in the office is normal to us, but is viewed as an item in need immediate attention to a stranger.

When people ask how you can possibly let yourself go, how you could possible gain so much weight, that’s why. All that weight is a box of dress patterns in the corner or an unread book collecting dust that you keep telling yourself someday you’ll get to. You just never do.

With the new year’s arrival, I think a lot of people are noticing things they’ve left undone. I know this blog’s traffic has gone up a bit in the past few days. I wish everyone luck and hope they stick with it. Losing weight takes more time than cleaning out your closet, but there are less dust bunnies. Except for the ones on your treadmill.

Oh, happy new year everyone! Except to those of you on the Mayan calendar, in which case happy 12.19.12.16.12.4 ‘Eb 10 K’ank’in G8

ashley • January 3, 2006 at 3:30 pm

Exactly!

Dee • January 3, 2006 at 8:29 pm

oh so very true! I like your metaphors and will probably get off my butt and find a thousand things I could be doing or fixing around the house lol. And like most things we put off, we just kinda kid ourselves that maybe it’s the way it should be, too hard to change or not as bad as everyone thinks.

Hope you had a great holiday

Happy New Year too :D

Jennah • January 4, 2006 at 12:58 am

I found your site through Reflected Thoughts (now Deadline) and just wanted to say how wonderful it is. I’m starting my journey to losing weight (for the second time) and as most people do, they seek out birds of a feather, especially ones that have been successful. I love your layout, your 3-D progress pictures and most of all your writing. Take care!

Ros • January 4, 2006 at 11:51 am

Wicked site.. good on you with all the weight lost, heres to an equally good or even better 2006. Thank you for the inspiration, I’m starting my journey this year too

Ros

Hilly • January 4, 2006 at 5:00 pm

That is a really great analogy and the story of my life. I promised myself that this year was the year of change and I am so glad to see you kicking ass and taking names!

Jen • January 5, 2006 at 3:56 pm

I’ve been a fan of yours for a few weeks now.

Very wise posting, this. And don’t ya just love eBay for selling your old clothes? Right now I’m selling the clothes that are too small that were sitting around for too long. Hopefully I’ll be selling the too big stuff soon.

PastaQueen • January 10, 2006 at 11:00 pm

Jen – Heh, I have fans! Anyway thanks. I saw your post about me on your LiveJournal and I’m really flattered. It’s funny how this blog seems to be inspiring people when I only ever meant it to be a fun place for me to track my weight loss.

Manny • January 13, 2006 at 8:40 am

I was up till 1:30am reading all your posts until now. And this morning, I’ve gone through some of the blogs on your roll, and none hold a candle to yours.

I have so many comments, I don’t know where to start.

Let me first say this: I disagree with your assessment on Weight Watchers. I’ve been on it close to a year now (and no, my religion is Judaism, not WW), and it’s been wonderful. The idea that most people fail on it is untrue. I belong to a message board group (http://www.healthdiscovery.net), and there are many who have been on for years (maintenance), so it works if you stick to it. If people go off it and gain weight, that’s their fault, not WW’s. It’s like saying that Judaism and the Torah are faulty because I know a Jewish guy who’s rude. No. Judaism, when done right, is a good religion. The fact that this guy’s not doing the right thing should not be blamed on the Torah or on Judaism. Similarly, if people start pigging out and gaining weight, I can’t blame WW. It works for people who stick to it, and there are plenty. (b) I’d take it over South Beach any day because they let you eat what you want, so psychologically, you don’t feel deprived. They have 8 essentials (getting x amount of protein, water, veggies, etc.), so the idea that you can eat potato chips all day is false.

But I’m not here to shill for them (too late for that, probably). I’m just saying that based on your personality, and how you feel that you have nothing to order in the fast food joints, perhaps it’s worth looking into a different program. Changing foods is also a way to charge up your metabolism, or so they say. Go potatoes!

Also, love the piece about people asking you for your secret. I’ve gotten that, and they want to know exactly what I eat everyday. They want to see my food log. But what if they don’t like oat bran cereal? There goes that! That’s what’s so stupid.

Additionally, I find at parties people are constantly looking at what I’m eating to emulate me. Little do they know that with the system for banking points on WW, I am able to eat quite a bit at a party. And, I’m on maintenance, so I get to eat more. (“Hmm, he’s eating half a bagel. Interesting….”) I hate that.

Perhaps you can give an update on your perception of your looks. You mentioned way back that you don’t take care of yourself because you thought it was a waste of time. Has that changed? Do you wear makeup now? Or do you still see yourself the same despite the loss?

PastaQueen • January 13, 2006 at 10:59 am

Manny – I have thought about deleting the Weight Watchers post because I think I was overly harsh on the program. The Egyptians tried to erase a female pharoah’s name from history once, though they didn’t quite succeed. Anyway, I’m not out to emulate them and become a history revisionist, so I’ve left it up.

I wasn’t so much mad at Weight Watchers as I am that the diet industry manages to make billions of dollars without providing what it promises to many of its customers.

My philosophy is that if you find a program that works for you and is not dangerous to your health – go for it! I’m happy with South Beach, I have a friend who swears by The Zone diet, and I know several people online who do WW. I think once I get into maintenance phase I’ll go back to eating potatoes every now and then, but I honestly don’t miss them right now.

It always mildy weirds me out when people read my really old entries because it’s like looking at an old yearbook photo. I cannot for the life of me remember what I was talking about in the very beginning and I’m kind of scared to go back and read them. I might just have to go do that and maybe I’ll post about my image perception like you suggested once I find out what I used to think :) Good thing I wrote it down.

No bookmarks avaliable.