Weight: 251.5 – Pounds left to lose: 91.5

I somehow managed to lose weight the week of Thanksgiving. Go figure. But knowing my body, next week I’ll be completely good and gain a pound.

I got through Thanksgiving relatively unscathed. The title round bout this year, as it is every year, was PastaQueen vs. the Pumpkin Pie. In one corner, the lifestyle-changing, weight-losing, queen of dieting – PastaQueen! In the other corner, the most delicious pie known to man, covered in Cool Whip – Pumpkin Pie! Want to guess who won? I don’t think you need to look at the spread to know.

Pumpkin pie is my kryptonite. I can honestly say I like a slice of pumpkin pie covered in cool whip better than chocolate. Better than ice cream even. It works some sort of voodoo on my taste buds. Before I’m even done with the piece I’m eating, I want another. I convinced my mother to make the pie with a whole-wheat crust and to substitute Splenda for sugar, so it was probably only 90% as bad for me as it would have been otherwise, but still – pie is pie.

I was rather proud of myself and only had two pieces on Thanksgiving day, one after the meal and one in the evening. The next day I finished off the one and half pieces left of the deliciously evil creation. All in all, I probably ate between 1/3 and 1/2 of the pie. Honestly, I consider it an accomplishment that I didn’t scarf the whole thing down on Thanksgiving day and start snorting Cool Whip. Other than a small helping of stuffing, it was my only indulgence and I don’t really feel guilty about it. Pumpkin pie only comes around once a year, so I’d better enjoy it while it lasts. It’s stuff like this that makes the difference between dieting and changing your lifestyle.

Only one more holiday to go and we’ll be through the holiday dieting gauntlet!

Julia • November 26, 2005 at 1:41 pm

I just found your blog, congratulations on your progress. There are so many weight loss blogs out there but so few that are really actually losing weight.

I wanted to know how you made your 3D pics. They are really really nice and sets you apart (again) from other weight loss blogs I’ve seen.

Thanks!

PastaQueen • November 26, 2005 at 7:37 pm

Yeah, I think that just shows how difficult it is to lose weight. I consider myself pretty lucky that everything is working in my favor right now. If just 1 or 2 things were going differently in my life I may never have been able to get where I am now.

I wanted to know how you made your 3D pics.

I’ve been thinking about writing a post about this. Since you requested it I’ll get on it and post something within the next couple weeks. The short version: I take 5 pictures of myself, crop them and put them in a Flash movie that I coded.

Thanks for stopping by!

kimberly • November 28, 2005 at 10:44 am

I refrained from the pies and the cookies. If I even touch that stuff I am doomed to a never ending downward spiral.

I breathed a sigh of relief once today came around because it is no longer Thanksgiving weekend and I can continue on with my diet without fear of the tempters out there that seem to think that a little bit won’t hurt me and I must indulge because it is Thanksgiving. Now, I am full steam ahead and focusing on making it through Christmas. After that it will all be so much easier.

bazu • January 12, 2007 at 12:07 am

Hi,

I know it’s ridiculous to comment on a year-old post, but I’m hoping you’ll see this anyway! I just discovered your blog and have been reading the archives. It’s so admirable how you’ve gone about your weight loss in such an intelligent and sensible way.

I really want to share a healthy recipe with you, since you wrote here about how much you like pumpkin pie. I’m pretty sure it’s South Beach friendly, and I really really loved it.

Tell me what you think!

Recipe for Impossible Pumpkin Pie

Kari • March 12, 2007 at 2:02 pm

I’m a big fan of pumpkin pie as well. Well, I love all pies (except for coconut), but pumpkin pie definitely ranks up there. I used to think I was safe, as it was usually only available in November, but now I feel as if all sorts of pies are available year-round at any neighborhood market. I just try to avoid the pie section of my market entirely by rushing past it with my cart at record speed!

LittleStar • May 26, 2008 at 9:48 pm

I have only recently discovered your blog and absolutely love it! Thanks for the hours of entertainment and the push to get me back on track. I also l-o-v-e pumpkin pie, so I prepare a low cal, low fat alternative (pumpkin pie pudding) whenever I need a fix. I compbine one can of pumpkin pure with a packet of sugar free vanilla pudding mix, 1 1/2 cups 1% milk, 4 packs of Splenda (of course), and lots of cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice. Now it’s not as good as the real thing, but it can be pretty tasty. Try it. You might like it. =o)

Dana • July 26, 2009 at 9:05 am

Pumpkin is so incredibly good for you, too. The stuff actually isn’t that carby if you sweeten it with Splenda. If it were me I would make it with a nut crust and top it with real whipped cream… that is just me. :)