Weight: 261 – Pounds left to lose: 101

Grrrrr, holding steady this week. Okay, I confess, there was actually a half pound gain, but no one is stopping me from rounding down to the nearest whole number if I want to! On the positive side, my fancy scale says my body fat has dropped 1 percent since last week. My hunch is that I have lost fat this week, but due to certain feminine sensibilities at this time of the month it will not actually show up on the scale until next week.

My birthday is on Thursday and I will be eating cake. No, I will not feel guilty about it. I am not nor will I ever be on a diet. I’ve changed my lifestyle and part of that lifestyle is the ability to have a treat from time to time without abandoning my reformed ways all together. Birthdays were made for cake!

However, I am slightly wary of the upcoming holiday eating season. I started losing weight in January, right after the trifecta of dieting doom – Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I haven’t had to run the winter gauntlet of temptation, but I think I’ll make it. I’m not giving out candy this year to trick-or-treaters. Sorry kids. I can’t have that stuff lying around and I know you don’t want me handing out dental floss instead. That’s a sure fire way to get your car egged. Thanksgiving and Christmas will probably be manageable too mostly because 3 of my 4 nuclear family members are all on South Beach.

David Morrison • October 22, 2005 at 5:40 pm

Remember that the focus isn’t on losing weight as much as it is on living differently. Maybe you are putting your metabolism through enough changed behavior that it needs a little bit to catch up. Maybe this is a sign that it might be time to challenge yourself physically a little bit more and add some more activity in. Or maybe it might just be passing too.

angie • October 22, 2005 at 6:47 pm

PastaQueen –

I stumbled across your blog/journal via the Hopeful Loser site (I also enjoyed twirling you ’round n ’round). I just received my SBD book today and am anxious to get started. And it’s all thanks to you. I turned up my nose at the SBD plan, lumping it in with the horrid Atkins diet. I am glad to find that it is MUCH healthier than that! I’m about 5’6″ and currently at 268 and want to get down to around 150-160. I’ve been fat/heavy/large/big-boned….whatever you want to call it….since I was 13 and I don’t know what weight I will be comfortable at until I get there.

I just wanted to thank you for inspiring me to get started on this and to let you know that you have another “fan” out here rooting for you.

Thanks so much, PastaQueen!

angie

Mark • October 22, 2005 at 11:20 pm

I find the kids love to get baby carrots for Halloween.

gail • October 23, 2005 at 11:29 am

Hi PQ –

I’ve just arrived at your site (referred here by Hopeful Loser) and really relate to a couple of things you have in this post. I too dread the Trifecta of 4th quarter holidays, knowing that my old behaviors can pack on 10 to 15 holiday pounds. I haven’t passed out Halloween candy for years now and no windows have been broken, my car hasn’t been egged, so it is possible for the little trick or treaters to just ignore your house and move on to the next one. Also, Mark, what medications are you taking? I suspect they might be hallucinogenic… baby carrots…. hmmm. :-D

Also, PQ, I too resist dieting, calorie counting, daily weighing, yada yada. I know this is a lifestyle change and when I can keep it simple and follow my program (I’m in OA), the pounds slip away and I eat to live, not live to eat.

You are doing so great – I don’t even know you but I am proud of you! Thanks for your humor and inspiration!

Gail

PastaQueen • October 23, 2005 at 4:59 pm

Woah, lots of comments!

David – I think I do need to step up my exercise routine. I always have to remember to keep pushing myself and not get complacent.

Angie – Good luck with South Beach! I know that one diet can’t always work for everybody, but my family has had great results with SB.

Mark – Well, carrots are orange. I guess that makes them Halloween-y.

Gail – Thanks for stopping by! The more the merrier, right? And thanks for the encouragement.

Kari • March 12, 2007 at 1:26 pm

Here’s my trick for dealing with passing out Halloween candy: Buy candy that you don’t like! I don’t get many (or any!) T-or-T’ers at home, but my employer lets employees bring in their kids for Halloween for T-or-T, which is always fun. So I go on the defensive and buy stuff that I don’t like, usually in the form of waxy candy and chocolate/coconut combos. Of course, it’s hard to avoid the other great candy that co-workers have, but I try exercise restraint if I can. Out of sight, out of mind!