No Boys Allowed!

Some cool new people have been commenting on this blog lately, so I’ve been checking out their sites and the sites they link to and the sites those sites link to etc. etc. It’s one big hyperlinked ball of yarn. The thing I’ve noticed is that there are hardly any males with weight loss blogs. Weight loss blogs are as girly as tampons.

Which makes me wonder about gender division in the blogosphere in general. (Blogosphere – that word still cracks me up. It reminds me of the Biosphere 2 project, like all us bloggers live in a huge geodesic dome and grow our own corn). Do certain topics attract genders unequally? I think yes. Most of the big political blogs are run by men. Most of the parenting blogs I’ve seen are run my women, hence the term “Mommy Blogs.”

My “I-just-pulled-this-out-of-my-ass” theory is that men tend to like to talk about the external world whereas women tend to like to talk about their internal world. Hence, men will jabber on about politics without fear, but if they had to start analyzing their feelings or body issues they’d freak. Alternatively, women like to talk about their personal lives and feelings, usually with other women, thus explaining the abundance and female bloggers writing about their weight and their kids’ antics.

Of course there are exceptions to this. Wonkette is a popular political blog run by a woman, but it was purposely set up as such by blogging empire guru Nick Denton.

Gender division isn’t anything new. I played flute in high school and I almost never sat next to a guy. The brass section was male dominated with nary a girl on trumpet or tuba. The clarinets and saxophones were more mixed. It was like the heavier the instrument got the more masculine it became.

I feel bad for the boys. I hope they don’t feel left out of our weight loss blogging community. To them, browsing our blogs must be like walking into a Victoria’s Secret store.

ETA: OMG, the Biosphere 2 is for sale! If we pool our money, we can move in and start growing our own corn.

Kirsten • October 20, 2005 at 6:06 am

There are a few men out there, but you are basically right. The women are dominant. (I liked typing that).

Off the top of my head I can think of: Alan at http://almostgastricbypass.blogspot.com/ (he’s following the diet without having the surgery).

And one of the earliest weight-loss bloggers was Fred Anderson, still blogging at http://www.onephatman.com . I was never a regular visitor (some felt he was a bit self-helpy) but he was quite a big name back in 2002 or so.

I know quite a few girl trumpet or French horn players (I was always at the back of the violins, being a bit rubbish, so had ample opportunity to be deafened by them). And am always happy to talk about politics – but then I’ll talk about anything.

I wasn’t really that aware, growing up, of gender-divisions in subject area , as I went to a girls’ school. We had some boys in our classes in final year. It’s evidently a terrifying prospect for a boy to be outnumbered seven-to-one by strongminded seventeen-year-old girls, because they all kept pretty quiet!

Debbie • October 20, 2005 at 1:55 pm

We may not grow our own corn, but vowels and consonants . . . yeah, plenty o’ them.

onephatman.com is a good guy weight blog, if you’ve not checked it out.

Oh, and yeah, I like the idea of pasta as ‘mental’ health food. lol

Finally Slim • October 24, 2005 at 3:23 pm

May I humbly suggest a blog I just set up to document my weight loss regime. The address is http://finallyslim.blogspot.com. Men allowed, boys not!

melanie • May 13, 2006 at 12:41 am

that’s funny… i played the baritone saxophone, which is about as big as it gets before the tuba.

*sniffle* i miss big bertha. we had a lot of fun together. deafened our percussionists several times, though never on purpose ;)

Kelly • May 28, 2008 at 5:43 pm

I know this is SO old, but I just finished your book (helping the headache fund!) and now I’m going through the archives.

Anyway, I definitely agree about this gender division. I used to think there was some sort of BIG problem between my husband and me and we would never be able to communicate, but I really think it’s just a gender thing. He likes to analyze the economy, I like to analyze food and nutrition (because it’s related to my own body issues and weight loss efforts). His focus is definitely on the external, while I like to focus on the internal.

scfrogprincess • December 23, 2008 at 3:56 pm

My husband is thinking of setting up a weightloss blog. He was going to do so on myspace, but changed his mind.

We both need to lose well over 100lbs each, so I have been sharing your blog with him, and my mom as well. She has a treadmill in her room that is more of a clothes rack. I wish I could move it over here! *sigh*

You Are Not A Machine. You Are Not Alone. | Smashing Magazine